Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by bcraig
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Yep, if it is a hardened surface then you could and most likely will create a problem with too much heat. Propane or electric heat not much of a chance. The solder for low temps does not have much strength however.

That is some really bad advice for someone new to soldering, and who is working on a heat treated part. Propane torches absolutely can and do put out enough heat to damage steel temper, and a lot more than that.

Bcraig, it would be wise to avoid soldering on either the hammer or sear, even if your JB weld part doesn't work. To your question of how much heat is too much - on bare steel, as soon as you start seeing it change colors (yellow -> brown -> blue) you're in the range where it can affect temper. Normal tempering temps are between the pale yellow and solid blue color stages, depending on the steel and how hard the manufacturer wanted it to be. With harder surfaces like you're working with, the temper was probably done at lower temps, in the yellow->brown range. You will exceed that if you try to solder to it.

The Main question is the 430 Degree Melt Temp of the Solder I have going to require an amount of heat to start the steel to start changing colors ?
Or make the question easier,at what Temp would the steel start to change colors?

If the Piece ever fell off and I decide to solder it that is.

Yes, 430 F is into tempering range. That is the minimum melting point though - can you really control the temp that closely? I guarantee that (especially as a beginner) you're going to see temps of 500+ when you try to solder that. That puts you squarely into the middle range of tempering temps, and the sharp edges where it really matters (the sear surface) will get considerably hotter in an instant if exposed to the flame.

Yes I see what you mean
Maybe I would be better off to just stone the sear if the JB Weld does not hold ?

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money