I did an experiment this past season on 3 separate hunts. 2 buck deer and 1 antelope doe hunt to see if there would be a different result taking game with a heart shot versus blowing up the lungs.

For the purpose of these 2 comparisons, I’m not saying one is better than the other. Though, I definitely have a preference now.

I know some guys like to break axles and bone to reduce the chances of a track. I’m not writing about which is the best of the 3 for hunting...Strictly an observation I watched on 3 animals all roughly the same size, taking direct hits to their heart.

Me, I try to tear up lungs with my shot. I’ve had better one shot drt on game doing it. It’s also a larger target area and because my typical shots can go long, I work that area almost exclusively on game.

After reading some threads and seeing good results from heart shots. I wanted to see for myself what would happen. (Yes, I’ve shot animals in the heart before, but it was accidental)

My Blacktail Buck...Results, took a wrecker hit to his heart that put him into a full 25-35 yard sprint. He acted like he’d been stung, then off he ran until he piled himself up into a hard spot for me to get to him.

Antelope Doe...Results, exactly the same as the Blacktail. Thrashed heart, another sprint of 40-50 yards then piles up dead.

Whitetail Buck...Results, blew half the heart away. Buck jumped straight up like it had also been stung and sprinted maybe 50 yards before dropping.

All animals shot with the same rifle, ammo/bullet.

Is it accurate to say that pump shooting an animal will typically produce these kinds of results where the animal is basically dead on its hoofs but still gonna show you he’s a track star?

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”