Originally Posted by 4th_point
I've never owned a Howa or Vanguard.

That said, the bolt stop doesn't give me the warm fuzzy. Replacement screws are available, and inexpensive, but I'd rather have a more robust design.

And there was a recent thread about the front action screw that is located in the lug. Not an "issue" per se, but something to understand.

Jason

If the bolt-stop screw was an issue, it'd be an easy fix for Howa or users to correct. Since the factory apparently hasn't addressed it, I figure it's nothing much to worry about. Actually, I've never looked at it on mine. Have to give it a look next time I have one apart.

The recoil lug is like a Mauser's. I'd prefer the hole where a M70's is, but prefer either to some of the other designs being used these days, which often work well, but look cheesy, and all came about to save money AFIK, not because they're a better idea.

On the plus side of the ledger, Howas have actions machined from forgings, including a one-piece bolt that will never have the handle pop off or come loose, and the easiest bolt takedown imaginable. I'd like to see the Mini, all of them really, offered in SS by Legacy, but such is life. My little Grendel cost me $359 with two stocks, and another $165 for the nifty bottom metal, and is a pretty nice rig for a $500+ dollar rifle. When Oregunsmithing LLC gets their new stock ready to sell, I might have to pop for one of those too. About $450, I was told.

What fresh Hell is this?