Bighorns post is solid....

On upland Birds, with take what comes opportunities, most above average shooters will start stinking it up really bad once things get much past 30-35 yards....a range were IC excels.....for the below average shooter it will be less.....

Reality is, it takes a well tuned shooter to be able to consistently use the potential of a Modified.....Many today, certainly not all, base chokes on what they read or their experience with clays....difference being that with Birds, chips don't count....

My experience tells me we all cripple more birds than we realize and the further out they are the more we do so.....Who has the eyes to be able to see a Bird take a fringe pellet in the guts at 40 plus yards., and if it flies off there is usually little we can do about it....That Bird will probably die from a ruptured gut.....

Perhaps we should worry more about our skill level and range estimation rather than fussing over choke selection?????

I shoot a lot of sporting clays, but pass on almost all shots in the field that are much beyond 30 yards....

Last edited by battue; 05/03/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler