I shoot a 20 gauge pump for Eastern Montana sharptails, usually with either an ounce or ounce and a quarter of #6. First weekend or two, young birds flush in twos and threes, sometimes right under my feet. I don't have a dog, and hunt buffaloberry/chokecherry draws that are shallow and easy to walk. For this early hunting I like a Skeet or Improved Cylinder, and the birds usually drop right there, average distance from me when I retrieve them is about 30 yards or less. Sometimes they flush so close I need to wait them out a bit even with the open chokes. If one does flush at a distance, I just leave them alone and look for more tight holding young birds. I love those hot afternoons walking around the thickets, makes your heart jump when they flush!

Later season birds need more choke...sometimes a lot more, as they are flushing farther away and seem to be more heavily feathered.

I shoot cheap shells on clay pigeons, but only use premium ammo for hunting. I like my pellets in the pattern. Lots of shot with an open choke does the job for me on those early season birds.