Wilkeshunter: These are rare little Rifles - if it is the same Rifle that I have - a Marlin 39 TDS.
Mine I bought new and it remains unfired in its canvas (black if I recall correctly) carrying case.
Mine has the 16 1/2 barrel and is as cute as a bugs ear!
These were advertised (manufactured 1988 - 1995), again if I recall correctly, as Take Down Survival (TDS) Model 39's.
My two year old "blue Book" shows 100% condition at $750.00 (I would NOT even consider selling mine for that pittance!). So add some for more current and more realistic prices and rarity - and I would propose it to be in the area of $900.00 to $1,000.00. I looked over on gunsstealersinternational and one is listed there at $1,199.00 plus shipping.
The reason I can not be more definitive in my estimation is because I have never seen another one for sale at a gunshop or a gunshow since I bought mine out in Bellingham, taxington way back when!
I want one to throw behind the seat of the VarmintMobile and have along at all times but not be gettin in the way. Just can NOT find a "used" one.
Again I have never fired a round out of mine so can't comment on function/accuracy/handiness afield etc.
I say GO AFTER this piece with intensity and gusto - or, "I" will.
Good luck
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Let me add my Rifles serial number so's we can be sure we are talking oranges to oranges here - #102511xx - compare that to your friends.
According to one Marlin dates of manufacture list I found my Rifle was made in 1990.
Hope this helps.