last fall I saw an '86 Honda TRX 250 advertised on craigslist. I'm a sucker for any Honda made from say '84 - '87. Their sweet spot was '86. Everything they built was just indestructible. The TRX 350 is my favorite but you can buy the TRX 250 all day long at a decent price and its a tank. This was actually my 3rd one.

Guy has it advertised for $500. Doesn't run but he says mechanics are all good, just needs some carb work.

So I look it over - plastics are shot, wiring it questionable, tires are bald and dry rot. Offer him $400, he jumps on it, seems like a nice guy, I bring it home
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

sits under my deck all winter. I drag it out a couple of weeks after the stay at home horseshit started. Throw a 250X carb on it, get some monster maxis tires for the rear, repair the plastics, strip the frame and motor and paint them, and get the wiring sorted. Throw on a new battery and bam - things runs like new.

Went to check the oil, its a little low - shows up on the dipstick but it needs it, so I put enough in to get it at the half way point. Slap a for sale sign on it and within about 2 hours I have at least a dozen people interested in it.

Setup a time with a guy to come see it later that day.

Before he comes out to see it, I go to move it from the workshop to the front yard - oil all over the floor of the workshop.

The crankcase has a crack in it apparently just so that it keeps it low but I guess not low enough to burn it up.

Oh well. I had delusions of selling it for $1200. Now I'll have to get chummy with someone good with a tig welder.

At least it looks good....just keep an oil pan underneath it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KFWA; 05/11/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings