Originally Posted by Magnum308
Hi All,

I have been absent from the forum for some time and now getting back on.

In my limited gun/rifle collection, I have the following centrefires:

270 Win - in Winchester pre-64 M70 fwt
308 Win - in Winchester pre-64 M70 fwt
308 Norman Magnum (identical too 30/338) - in a full classic custom rifle built on M98 some many years ago
375 Chatfield-Taylor (AKA 375/338WM) - in a Ruger M77

I have a spare Mauser 98 action ready for another build. As the smallest CF is 270 Win was thinking of something under that. As you can see I like classic calibres and so was thinking of a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved (AI). I have a gunsmith in the family so this is no issue. I know I could get a 26-06 or a 243 Win but really preferred a classic calibre and to do justice to the long (versus medium, i.e. 243/308 size) action.

I am happy for thoughts and comments on this.

Oh, yes. I am in Australia and moved a couple of years ago to Red Deer country in SE Queensland. .

I've owned at least one 257AI for nearly 40 years and think that it is a good cartridge, but the 25-06 is an easier way to reach the same level of performance. The 257AI has more of a "cool factor", but the 25-06 is easier and being a factory loaded cartridge would probably be easier to sell or trade down the line.. Those cartridges are two more or less equal ways to reach the same place, just pick the one that moves you more.