The last election was a huge disappointment to our house. I was involved in three ridings -- ours tightly held NDP (Edm Strathcona) -- we gained substantial ground with the Conservative candidate but still lost -- Scheer never came to the riding and was not seen as a strength by the people we know in the riding, Edmonton Centre - Liberal Randy Boissonnault --- I wanted this fellow gone and so did many others, Edmonton Mill Woods - Amarjeet Sohi -- bus driver turned politician and seen as a Trudeau lackey. Scheer came to both of these ridings for support but I do not think it was required. Both of these ridings went blue. If you are reading this bye bye Randy see you Amarjeet !

My understanding on the east is Scheer avoided getting help from Doug Ford in Ontario and went his own way which turned out to be a failing. Scheer with his continuous grin came across visually as a speaker that thought even the most serious issues were humorous. He had baggage that he either took to long to speak to on correction or had hidden that came out at the end and hurt his chances. He also did not go for the throat on issues that were there --- SNC, Mark Norman, Black Face, Point Grey --- he seemed to want to be seen as the nice guy, above getting down and dirty in a knife fight.

So ---- This next election I would like to see someone that can attract the eastern voters, is very well spoken and comes across as caring, is not afraid of getting in a knife fight and can give more that take, has no hidden baggage (so no reversals on policy or issue management)

Peter McKay --- has baggage, has ties back to Harper (great PM but has a lasting stigma with younger people), has flipped on a number of issues (gun control being one)
Derek Sloan --- I have not followed in detail. Just a few things turned me off on being to far to the right
Peter O'Toole --- Has come out hard and consistent on issues -- has done well in his riding in the east, military ties which may help with the Maritimes and ties to Ontario --- would never get votes in Quebec
Leslyn Lewis --- Late to the party but coming on, very interested in what she has to say, well educated, not tied back to old baggage as Peter McKay and perhaps O'Toole, not sure she would make a difference in the Maritimes, perhaps more seats in BC and Ontario, Quebec may have an outside chance for some gains but I doubt it as the level of patronage corruption under the current system is to their benifit. I am watching Ms Lewis closely and wanting to learn more.

Right now for me it is close to a toss up on Lewis vs O'Toole. It will be interesting what the more formal process brings out.

I just do not want another Scheer re-make.

Hugh