Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Wondering what fire members think about putting one of those large tactical type knobs on a hunting bolt action rifle. Esp. one that might be used where DG lurks about.

I'm thinking it would be a worthy improvement in situations where it would be nice to get something more to grab ahold of such as if you were wearing heavy gloves (i.e. Alaska) or to find and manipulate the bolt faster in a situation where muscle memory may be impaired by a dulled brain (i.e. bear charge).

Yeah I get the part about tossing your gloves down when the critter hoves into sight, or that we should be familiar with our controls enough not to have to resort to the braille method. And I get the bit about the bolt handle sticking out on a horse scabbard.

I'm thinking its like a power handle on a baitcaster.

But,,,,, in the pursuit of perfect, no stone goes unturned right?

Fire away!

Trust me. Standard bolt handles ain't a problem in a bear situation. Or finding the safety. Or muscle memory.
If it is, maybe you shouldn't be out there.

A bear charge does not result in a dulled brain - quite the opposite.

Now what is a problem is having a pair of binoculars in one hand, camera in the other with the rifle still 20 yards away, the bear 30 feet away and coming hard. I don't think an oversized knob on the my binoculars would have helped in that situation either... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.