Probably the oddest instance I've ever seen was a broadside Cape buffalo shot at right around 100 yards by a hunting partner. We could see dust fly from the bull's shoulder, very good placement. The bull was standing on the far side of a clearing, part of a herd of maybe 40 buffalo, mostly cows and calves, and at the shot buffalo ran every which way--and the bull disappeared into the bush before there was any chance for a second shot.

It looked so good we waited for the death bellow--which generally happens, but not always. It didn't, so we (two hunters, two PHs and a tracker) waited around an hour before following up. I had been asked to come along as sort of a back-up back-up, and when we didn't find an immediate blood trail, the five of us spread out about 20-25 yards apart, the tracker with the senior PH, enough to remain visible to each other. Within 100 yards or so a bull jumped and ran away, 40-50 yards in front of me, but I couldn't tell if it was the hit bull, so didn't shoot.

We gathered and found a little blood, but and started following, but then the bush got a lot thicker, and the PHs told me and my partner to stay behind. Over and hour we heard 11 shots from their .458 and .416, and eventually they shouted that the bull was down.

It turned out the 300-grain .375 bullet, a highly regarded bonded, had hit the shoulder, then deflected through only the near lung--and ended up under the hide on the SAME side, at the rear of the ribcage--perfectly expanded and retaining over 90% of its weight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck