After having read the OP and all 3 pages, I'd like to expand upon my initial post. In my initial post I was thinking of a hunting rifle, as were some others.

How I choose a cartridge: Usually I stumble on to one I haven't worked with or don't have. First of all it has to be obsolete or at the very least obscure. Secondly, after 30 years of working with old, obsolete and usually unavailable American cartridges anything new, (old), to me is nearly always British or German. Thirdly, it has to be chambered in what think is a nice rifle. Old, obsolete and obscure cartridges that are chambered in double rifles, combination guns, drillings, stalking rifles or Schuetzen rifles I find of particular interest. One I would like to have in my battery is old but is far from obsolete and that is the 9.3 X 74R and I want it in a pre-war double rifle. That would kill two birds with one stone. I'd have the 9.3 and almost any double you find it in will be nice.

Ballistics have absolutely no influence on whether or not I will make the purchase. Once I have it I'll develop my own load and run it across my chronograph and calculate my own ballistics. There won't be any reason to consult anyone else's ballistic tables.

Last edited by sharps4590; 05/20/20.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing