Years ago I asked the head agronomist at our local Wilbur Ellis how many years in a row can you grow corn on the same ground.

He said you can grow it as many years as you can, until you can't....

Basically, it depends. And he said disease would be the end of it. That and I'm sure it's hard on the soil.

We've gone 4-5 years in a row with silage corn on a certain 40 acre field. And that is because everything else in the area was in alfalfa. We didn't have issues but did spread 300lbs of urea on it every spring. But I guess you'd do that regardless.

Dryland spring wheat farming is kind of a side gig to our cattle and we really should be rotating with a pulse crop but we don't have a big sprayer and we don't have a combine. And with some of the pulse crops you need to do a lot of spraying and when the crop is ready to cut you better be cutting it.

I actually mentioned to my dad yesterday that I have no interest in the paperwork side of the farm game and we should think about leasing out our wheat ground. That and we have plenty to do as it is.

And I've been around cows my entire life but have no idea about sheep or goats or chickens or pigs, etc..