Originally Posted by High_Noon
ok fellers, I know this may sound ridiculous to many, but I’ve had enough of this Fort Knox Packaging [bleep].

So, I had to go to Lowes today to pick up some items. One of those items was a clunky, mostly plastic, Lufkin L1016C tape measure to replace my 35+ year old, nice, slim, all steel, made in USA, Stanley 16-footer that was recently stolen. The packaging Lufkin designed for this tape measure is, by far, the most difficult to deal with of any of the packaging I have ever encountered in my life. I tried industrial shears, a shop knife, and diagonal cutters to extricate the tape measure from the packaging. I finally had to result to brute force to remove the tape from the packaging, which of course, destroyed the tape measure clip. Not only that, but once removed from the packaging, the clip had adhesive residue all over it from the back label of the packaging. Now go ahead and tell me how much you love spending your hard-earned cash to purchase a product only to find out that 1) Godzilla would scarcely have better luck separating the product from the packaging, 2) there’s label adhesive is all over it once you finally remove the item from the packaging, which must be removed, and 3) you then put your reading glasses on and take a closer look at the packaging only to see the small print in the bottom left corner: “Made in China.”

So, what happens when some old-timer deeply gashes himself with a knife or other tool and bleeds out as a direct result of the incredible forces required to remove his new Chinese tape measure from it’s ridiculous packaging? I'm willing to wager that the savings and increased profits Lufkin realized from moving production to China will be substantially impacted.

I cannot express the profound disappointment and frustration I experienced trying to remove something as simple as a Lufkin the tape measure from its infernal packaging. There is absolutely no reason in the world to design packaging that is so difficult to open. For F*cks Sake, it’s a $10.00 f*cking tape measure! Hell, I'd pay twice that for a proper American made all steel tape without any packaging at all.

Why can’t a guy just go the hardware store and purchase a proper steel, Made in America tape measure and immediately start using it? They don’t even sell tapes like that anymore – today, they’re all Tactical Chinese tape measures with 3 or more different types plastic that have “cool” designs molded in, finger grooves, auto-locking, double end hooks and all different colors. They’re all about 3” wide and weigh about as much as a cinder block and they’re all packaged to a ridiculous level. & that f*cking tactical plastic case won’t last 35 years, I’ll tell you that. This tape will be going back to Lowes and I’ll look on flea-bay for a proper vintage tape.

End rant.

At least it wasn't a box of Nosler bullets, read on this site they are the worst.