This may be old news to most but just in case...

I recently bought a new 2019 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. The on board computer shows it getting 19.2 mpg over the life of the truck so far, a little over 6000 miles. I hand calculated the milage today and found the on board computer, affectionately known as the lie-o-meter, overstated my gas milage by 6.7%. Granted, considering the performance, the hand calculated milage is still darn good, especially compared to my previous truck, a ‘10 Tundra with the 5.7L V8.

Anyway, I got to do a little reading on this and found the MPG calculation is notoriously optimistic in these trucks, but I also found that it can be corrected with an easily accessible setting in the engineering mode of the computer.

To access the engineering mode, press and hold the OK button on the steering wheel while turning the key to the second notch without starting the truck. You’ll have a bunch of funny looking settings in your display. Scroll down until up you get to AFE BIAS. Press OK to access it then scroll down or up as necessary to edit the bias to the correct number. To get the correct AFE BIAS, divide your hand calculated milage by the vehicle displayed milage and multiply that by 1000. Once you’ve entered the bias, turn off the ignition key. When you turn it back on, you will see that the vehicle displayed mpg matches what you calculated.

It’s irritating that Ford has the ability to make these readings accurate but chooses not to but at least they provided us the means to correct it.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14