I agree with DeFlave above.
NEVER grab a handgun to fight with if you can have a rifle instead.

A 10/22 is actually an excellent defensive weapon for homes because of it's good accuracy, recoil-less use, quite muzzle blast indoors and good reliability as well as the fact that someone can be trained to use it very well in just a short time. But any long arm if FAR easier to use well then a handgun for even the most expert hand-gunners let alone the average young lady. a few years back I could do a lot of "showing off' with my handguns and it was common for me to shoot some birds in flight with them. I am still not bad despite my eyes getting old. So I can say in 100% honesty I was quite good at my job when I did those jobs, but at NO TIME IN MY LIFE, as a US Marine, as a military adviser with DOD, or as a body guard would I EVER use a handgun if a rifle was just as fast to grab, and with me I am not speaking from a standpoint of mere theory.

Handguns are to carry. If you are not wearing it you need to go get it at the time the alarm goes off in your mind and getting a rifle (or shotgun) is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better in such a situation then a handgun

Remember long arms are a LOT easier to make hits with, and every shot you fire is going to hit.......................something.

You (she) will be responsible for all shots fired. Hitting is the key. A hit in the body of a bad guy even with with a 243 or 25-06 deer rifle is going to be a lot less dangerous to someone down range after it exits the enemy then a total miss (usually several) with a 9mm that goes wide and is under full power when it strikes. So the argument of "over penetration" is far more an issue of proper training .............to fire when you are aiming correctly and ending the contest in 1 shot. For that a rifle is a LOT better tool.

It's also much safer in the legal actions that will follow for 2 reasons. #1 it's a common rifle used by millions for hunting so no stigma is attached to many of them and #2 ending the fight by making the 1st shot means you don't have the blazing gunfight that is not only possible with handguns but more common then not.

Last edited by szihn; 05/24/20.