Originally Posted by slumlord
Never stop learning.

Let me know if they have any classes on growing wheat. I might know someone.

First statement, I fully agree.

Second statement.

I know a man. He could teach anybody to grow wheat.
"It's a process. You dig a hole, you put a seed in, you put dirt on top, add water, up comes the WHEAT."---Mike Bloomberg

Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by LJBass
Any merit in getting one of these? Thinking about it while I'm off work if it would actually help find a good maintenance job that wasnt at a poultry processor. Looks like a 1 year cert. Pay difference would actually cover that.

You have to weight out the time & cost, but a cert like that can quickly lead to better jobs, &/or an Associates degree in Ind. Maint. Engineering/mgmt. etc. etc. So many require/desire a hire to have something that hangs on the wall.

Been there done that. I worked Ind. Maint. for a bit over 20 years & 12 of that I ran the department. I could get a maint. job about anyplace for 50-60K a year, out on the floor with a tool cart & dirty fingernails. Nothing wrong with that, but the days get longer as you age. Some sort of degree in the same field could have put me in a maintenance office, if I desired for closer to 6 figures a year.

That's my experiences in central Ky., you area or talent/knowledge may differ.

I worked the floor for the last 13 years as a machinist, Between that and working around the farm, Figured the cert would make for a better chance at a maintenance job and better pay. The Dirt hasn't killed me yet.

Other thought was Refrigeration. Quite of bit of cold storage warehousing, processing plants, things like that around.