Originally Posted by Spotshooter
You’d need a bench top mini-mill... but be warned if you get one you’ll just end up buying a bigger one later.

Truer words have never been spoken.

When I first stuck my toe in the waters or metalworking, I thought of the drill press for 'just a little bit' of milling. I was strongly discouraged and started looking at the benchtop/mini mills, Along with the advice to consider a benchtop/mini mill, was the strong suggestion to avoid anything with a round column which narrowed options and added cost. Before long I ran across a Powermatic (Burke) mill. While not a Bridgeport (or similar ilk) it was about 80% the size of the Bridgeport and in the end I paid less for it than I would have for a new benchtop/mini mill. Didn't take long and I found the limitations of the Powermatic and sold it. The guy that bought it was ecstatic and I got everything I paid for the Powermatic (and then some) out of the deal. Not long after that a Bridgeport Series I with a 'boat load' of tooling, collets, and fixtures found it's way into my shop. The Bridgeport has done everything I've wanted it to do, and with the right operator is capable of more.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.