Originally Posted by local_dirt
Don't really think she was in much danger once the instructor got to her and shoved the regulator in her mouth. They appeared to be at slightly more than 1 atmosphere (33 ft; which is common for Open Water certification dives), probably around 40-45. So, she wasn't going to get bent because she came up too fast. Got to hand it to the instructor. He did a good job there getting her up.

Had a girl diving with me once that blew her tank up too fast and just didn't want to surface. Had to buddy breathe her back up. No problem. She was calm. And smokin hot. smile

Danger is not getting the bends it is an air embolism (pnuemothorax) Air under pressure in her lungs will expand and blow the lining out of lungs. you have 8 quarts of air in your lungs at surface at 15 psi., at 33 feet you have still have 8 quarts of air but it has been compressed (30 PSI)and is actually 16 quarts of surface air by volume. That air expands as you go up. Only takes 3 lb pressure change to do that. We had a student get a small embolism buddy breathing in a pool swimming laps and went up the incline holding his breath when I went thru the special forces scuba course. Small hole and crepitation in shoulders that evening. Put out of the course and no diving for one year. That is also why you never dive with a cold. Mucus plugs will expand close one section of the lungs and blow out on the way up. Lost two friends like that.

May people say "I just will not go deep" when in actuality the last 15 feet coming up are the most dangerous.

I have had a valve malfunction on a deep dive with a student and he panicked at 100 ft and would not buddy breath after 2 times. I had to do a "blow and go" from 100 feet and it was not a fun experience. Immediately grabbed another tank and went to 10 feet to decompress for 15 minutes and diving was over for that day.

we lost more guys diving to include SF dive medics than ever jumping. The sea is very unforgiving.

Last edited by BountyHunter; 05/30/20.