I used the 35 Whelen Ackley Improved for around 20yrs. I killed a Black wildebeest in S.A. at 347 yds. (behind the shoulder) with the 200X ( pre TTSX) and a zebra (base of neck) on the same hunt at 250yds. I killed even more PG with the 250X @ 2600 on my first trip, out to 150yds, the rest were 40-100yds away. I killed a Eurasian hog at 30 steps with the 310gr Woodleigh RN going 2400fps, ha, it worked perfectly! Love those Woodleigh's! The standard Whelen will certainly feed better, and your speed goals are easily reached with it. If you ever want to "stretch your range" I heartily recommend the 200gr Barnes or 225s, but...nothing wrong with those heavy Woodleigh's. I personally like round nose Mediums from 250 to 310gr. I recently picked up a Kimber 84L Classic ( wood stock) in .270 Win and it is a sweetheart! I then found a Kimber 8400 Classic in 300WSM, metal is stainless in a beautiful wood stock! It too handles very nice. My first 9.3x62 was back in the late 90's. I had my smith rebarreled a Mod 70 Fwt Push Feed that was a 30-06 with a Lothar Walther at 24". I'm tall so 24 inch feels better to me. It handles very well, recoil was fine. I gave it to a young family man who used it ( and my loads) and the Nosler 286 Partition and shot an elk that same year with it. He likes it!

Good luck to you pard, and let us know how it shoots for you later? My Dad fought the Japanese with McArthur's Army, he loved the Aussies ( I suspect it was the Sheila's) smile He did say the Aussies were fearless fighters though!