Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Ky221
Eastern Ky. Unfortunately it is usually the cheapest plastic stocked 7mag, 30-06, 270, 300WM with the blister pack scope and rings.....

A couple years back, my dog's ice cream man, who's not a gun guy by any stretch of the imagination, bought a new rifle, probably at WhataMart. Savage of some sort in 6.5 YouKnowWhat. Can't fault him, makes sense for someone that just wants to hunt. I imagine a lot of guys are doing the same now, at least until they lose one and decide they need a .300 WinMag.
Sounds kind of like my hunting partner. He's definitely not a gun guy. Knows very little about ballistics beyond the load charts put out by the ammo manufacturers. He has only one deer rifle. It's a Tikka model 658 .270 I talked him into buying used from a classified ad in the paper back in the 90's. It still wears an old 3-9x Denver Redfield he mounted on it way back then. The thing is, he doesn't much care what rifle he uses as long as it functions well and shoots decent. He is however, one of the best, most successful, most dedicated, hard hunting deer hunters I know. He kills multiple deer every season with bow, crossbow and rifle and his living room has big buck mounts on every wall all the way around. I have known him and hunted with him since high school and he's never gone a season without punching his tags since way back then. You don't have to have a safe full of expensive rifles or be a rifle loony to be a great hunter.