Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by MILES58

Get a Santoku, a 8 inch chef, a 8 inch slicer, a paring knife and maybe a nakiri.

This recommendation is loaded with overlap - even for an experienced user.

Maybe for an INexperienced user. I butcher at deer camp and people there would use my knives and they wound up buying pretty much those knives after learning how to use them. I am assuming the the OP is going to use them for kitchen work as well as butchering all manner of game. The high end forged Chicago knives (signature series) Santoku is one of the really handy specialized tools for butchering. A good VG-10 nakiri is almost designed to be a perfect jerky slicer. A chef's knife is a basic kitchen tool that is not nearly so well suited to the work I use nakiris and santokus for. An 8 inch VG-10 slicer makes a very acceptable boning knife and filet knife, a 6 inch might be a little better depending on the user, but if you're going to carve turkey or ham 8 inch is the way to go. For about $250 for the five, and that price is easy enough to do on the internet, that's a well considered set. If I were to change it, the santoku would be the Chicago cutlery instead of a japanese VG-10 blade. If butchering deer is not a consideration then I would leave out the nakiri.

wow

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.