Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Short answer? DNA.

I am going to challenge that notion. In New Orleans there is a problem with generational, poverty, poor education, crime and a host of other issues. Young black males from fatherless homes in poor black neighborhoods, statistically speaking, have the odds stacked against them.

Your contention is that it is their DNA that finds the odds stacked against them.

If it is their DNA, then answer this question for me. I am a supporter of an organization called Son Of A Saint. Here is what their website says about them.

Growing up without a father is a challenge facing thousands of boys in New Orleans. For too many of them, the challenge will prove overwhelming. Son of a Saint exists for these boys, providing mentorship, education, recreation, camaraderie, cultural enrichment, emotional support and helping to fill the void for dozens of fatherless young men in New Orleans.

These are kids that, statistically speaking, are going to to have a rough go of it. Let's just use one of the many metrics. 50 or greater percent of all black males do not graduate from high school. Yet those who enter this program have a success rate that is right there with whites. In every other metric, these kids perform on a level with their white peers.

If it is a DNA issue, how do you explain the results of kids in this program?

https://sonofasaint.org/what-we-do/#/we-save-lives

What brings them into this program?

Voluntarily?

Court Order ?

Simple Walk-in ?

What is the driver for their entry?

Is it co-ed or male only ?

To the best of my understanding, the mother has to request it. The mother can be steered into the program in any number of ways. Boys only. The program directors will identify the kids as at risk based on a number of factors prior to bringing them into the program.

Sounds like it’s “family driven “ where no or little “family” exists.

Where does the money come from for the organization?

Individual and corporate donations. It's one of the few organizations that I really feel great about donating to.

Good stuff, Paul and good on you.

We have similar in my area with Hope Ministries. You see some sad sites of people making bad decisions in life and they wonder why. There’s a serious disconnect within.

Stay well.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.