Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
First off, I am not a Glocktard, fanboy or whatever epithet gets thrown around for those with an emotional attachment to their pistols. In fact I didn't even like Glocks until I got a G34 Gen 5 about 3 months ago. It's a fine pistol.

I've bought several pistols in the last few months and have been shooting and comparing them all quite a bit - Sig P320 X-Full and a change kit to make it an X-Compact, S&W M&P 2.0's in 5" and Compact, and have had my good ol' Beretta 92FS for a few years now.

Each of those beats the Glock in some way - the Sig in both versions is more mechanically accurate, both Smiths are more ergonomic and comfortable in the hand, both the Sig and S&W's have better triggers, and the Beretta points better than anything else. But they each have a deal breaker for me - the Sig doesn't point well for me at all, the right side slide release on the Smiths is worthless (I'm a leftie) and the Beretta is DA/SA which is fine for 30 years ago but is a trigger system unlike any other pistol I own; not conducive to cross training.

While the Glock doesn't win in a lot of categories, it meets or exceeds specs in all of them. And when I start shooting fast I can hit with the Glock just as well as any of those others and that's the bottom line, plus it has a solid reputation for reliability which takes equal weight on the bottom line.

And finally, it's just ubiquitous. While "the one most everybody else uses" isn't the deciding factor for anything, it don't hurt. If it was 60 years ago (and we had the internet) I'd be writing, "well, I tried a bunch of revolvers and finally just got a Model 10 and be did with it". wink

Started looking for a 17 Gen 5 in March, right at the same time as everybody ran out of them. Saw a few here and there on gunbroker but not at a price I liked. Finally saw one for the standard retail price they should be with free shipping and no CC fees, so I "bought it now" on Sunday and picked it up at the dealer's this morning. Going to the range this afternoon to see where it hits and will adjust the sights as needed.

Excellent choice, for all the reasons you state. For about the past 5 years, I've been Carrying Glocks, either the 17, 19, or 26. Right now, I've got the 19 on, Gen 5. The 26 is also a Gen 5. I bought the 17 before there was a Gen 5, so it's a Gen 4. All excellent. Learn the trigger, and you will hit whatever you aim at. At that point, it's second nature. Get some good night sights with a high contrast front sight and you are set.