Originally Posted by LiftedYota
I know what you guys are saying—a bigger powerful caliber and a bigger bullet hurts more, but does this apply to smaller game with big copper bullets? I am concerned about bullets “penciling” through a pissed off mama bear if things go wrong.

My question is based towards those with experience shooting a lot of copper. My experience with my 30-06 180’s has been complete pass throughs with bull elk and deer, with less noticeable trauma on the deer. It has worked great but now that I’m hunting bear (alone I might add) I am more concerned about the animal running 50 yards into the brush, and me having to go after it or having to go get back up to do it safely.

I know that some people would answer “shoot the 150’s or 130 grain coppers super fast out of the ‘06” but I don’t handload and the 150 grain bullets are less accurate out of my rifle.

If your worried about expansion with mono's in the 30-06, why not buy some federal 180 partition loads. This was the bullet I used mostly (along with the 180 interlock) and they knock the snot out of bears, go together like PB&J. Not sure where you are hunting but blood trailing bears in thick stuff can be difficult as they are not good bleeders due to fat and dense hide/fur. Most of the bears I hunted where Alaskan coastal bears, if they ran any distance you were going to be climbing vertical stuff choked with alders and devils club. The 06 with any good bullet will give you two holes.

I have no experience with the 6.5 anything, I imagine with good shot placement it will kill as dead. The 06 is what I am familiar with, so I'd take that. .02

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's