I just upgraded to a helix 9 mega SI.Out chasing Kokanee the other day with it. Have the map chip too. Sure makes fishing new lakes easier

Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I have been doing a lot of research recently on Huminbird brand and features.

So, we have a few questions to consider, because you definitely get what you pay for.

1'st, How much do you want to afford to spend?

For crappie and bass, a good side imaging sonar will show you fish and structure between your boat and the shore. Check out some of the you-tube videos. Google crappie and side imaging. Many of the videos show the SI (side imaging) sonar units detecting crappie hanging under a boat dock 15 feet or more to the side of the boat.

My budget allowed me to purchase the Huminbird helix 7 inch mega SI. I am still learning its potential. But the round circles of fish beds are very easy to see.

At a significant increase in price, the Huminbird helix 9 offers mega SI+, for even better resolution.

With an unlimited budget, screen sizes go up to 12 and 15 inches, which allows more pixels to depict fish signals with better clarity and size. Advanced units offer networking with a cellphone, notepad, or laptop.

Most Humminbirds offer charting capability and GPS location. Extremely detailed maps are available from Huminbird on mSD cards. And advanced units may be networked with advanced Minn-Kota motors to give autopilot or "hover" capabilities.

You said you intended to keep the console mounted sonar. I would leave that transducer on the transom. And I would be interested in a front mounted transducer for the second sonar. The trolling motor transducer is available. But I do not know how the SI beam would work, as the trolling motor changes orientation as it steers.