Originally Posted by Morewood
My Dad has read every old western book in his county library. The paperbacks all have different geezer initials all up and down the inside first page so they can see if they already read it. Clearly he needs new material for Father's Day.

Help me with a good western book or series about steely-eyed cowboys, slim-waisted rancher daughters, blazing Colt 45's and sidekicks named Blue.

For the type of books you are looking for I recommend Elmer Kelton. He is a good writer, his stuff is above average for the genre you mentioned and he wrote a lot of books. If at all possible he should read them from the publishing date because some of his later books sometimes refer to incidents and characters in earlier books, although he is good enough as a writer that it is not necessary to have read the earlier books. Most of his stories are set in Texas in the time period prior to and through the civil war although they are not about the war itself.

He wrote the book Good Old Boys it was made into a great movie with Tommy Lee Jones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Kelton

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.