Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
The Lonesome Dove series is actually four books. Historically speaking, the begin with Dead Man's Walk, then there's Comanche Moon, Lonesome Dove and Streets of Laredo. At least that's the only four I'm aware of. I don't read much McMurtry anymore.

EE:

Don't forget Return to Lonesome Dove. Was that another book or just a movie seguel?

I'm just doing this by memory so...IIRC, Return to Lonesome Dove was the first effort after Lonesome Dove and starred Jon Voight as Call and had Ricky Schroeder reprising his role as Newt. It also added some characters. As far as I know, it had nothing to do with McMurtry or any of his novels. SPOILER~McMurtry killed Newt off unceremoniously by having him thrown off or kicked in the head by a horse or mule. He didn't appear in the sequel to LD, Streets of Laredo. IIRC he was a minor character in Comanche Moon, a prequel. Dead Man's Walk was a prequel as well. There was also a TV series on Fox in the nineties called Lonesome Dove the Series. It didn't do too well evidently and lasted a year as that and then came back re-titled Lonesome Dove the Outlaw Years. Again, McMurtry had nothing to do with it and it took the character of Newt Dobbs, now called "Call" after his possible father Woodrow Call, and centered both series' around him. The second series or however you'd term it, lasted only another year. The second series is especially worth watching although again, McMurtry had already killed the character he created off in his books.