Ash was falling and smoke for the last couple days at Christopher creek, took a quick shot of the smoke from the rim before I headed down the Young rd home... again a 90 minute drive turned into a 4 hour trip.

[Linked Image]

90 miles usually turned into 220 via Showlow or 160 via Young, Young road is mostly dirt and windy for 70+ miles... I decided Young rd... it"ll kick your ass but the views are spectacular. Traffic was light and I made good time, 30 minutes less than map quest estimate via Showlow... I hate the drive through Salt river canyon anyway. When you start down on the last stretch you are in pines then saguaros in about 10 miles, a true representation of the Arizona's riparian zones, it truly is an amazing state.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's the fire cresting Four peaks and Ord heading into the Tonto basin, the winds are terrible and I'm afraid this is going to jump the Tonto and head for the Greenbacks, you can see Roosevelt lake, live embers have to be carried 10 to 20 miles as it crests, couple years ago I was fishing San Carlos lake and live embers were landing on me from a fire 40 miles away.

[Linked Image]