Round trip distance from the Barr Trail parking lot to the summit of Pikes Peak and back again is 26 miles with a 7,000' elevation gain. So unless you are a marathon runner, you better plan on stopping at Barr Camp to spend the night. You don't need a GPS but a USGS map is probably a good idea. The trail is good. Just follow the people in front of you.

Barr Trail & Barr Camp (glamping, 14 miles R/T) Long moderate backpack trip on a good trail.
If you park your car in the Barr Trail parking lot, you have to pay a parking fee. Or you can park your car next to the city park in Manitou Springs and ride the free shuttle bus to the bus stop in front of the Iron Springs Chateau. Hike the Barr Trail (FS Trail 620) and sleep in the cabins at Barr Camp. www.barrcamp.com You don’t have to carry a tent and the last time I visited, the host offered spaghetti dinners for a reasonable price. Fee and reservations are required. It’s common for hikers to spend two nights at Barr Camp and climb Pikes Peak.

The “A” frame hut is located beside the trail at timberline, halfway between Barr Camp and the summit of Pikes Peak. There’s a clearwater spring nearby. The hut is open on the east side and if you spend the night in the hut, you might be rewarded with a glorious sunrise.

Another way to experience Barr Camp is to start at the Elk Park Trailhead, located about half way up the Pikes Peak Highway and about 2/3 mile up the road from Glenn Cove. Have someone drop you off and start the hike from there, then hike southeast on FS Trail 652. Follow the trail down into French Creek. Don’t fork onto the Severy Creek Trail, it’s closed to the public. Hike up the other side, it’s almost flat, and to Barr Camp. Spend the night at Barr Camp. The next day, hike down Barr Trail to the bus stop and ride the bus back to your car. This route is mostly downhill. Must pay fee for Pikes Peak Highway.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.