The original reason to pillar bed was to prevent cracking a wooden stock from high recoil. If you're bedding a wood stock for accuracy with something like a .243 or even a .270 Win. just bed the damn thing like MD and some others suggest. It will work. It will make your Box Store wood stock rifle shoot as accurately as physically possible.

As for that pressure point out near the end of the forend, some thin barrel sporters require a little upward pressure at the end of the forend. But not an inch long area. Just cut a piece of old credit card about a quarter inch or eigth inch wide. You need pin point pressure.. The reason for the credit card (or Debit, LOL) is so you can move it back and forth until you find that sweet spot. Then mark the stock where the card is giving the most accuracy, or tightest groups and put some epoxy right there. When it cures torque your barreled action in right there.

I had a Remington 788 in .223 Remington that was a solid 1/2 MOA rifle right out of the box. I loved it. Then I got around a few amateur bench rest so called gu rus that convenced me that if it was half minute as was, I should bed it. So I had a friend glass bed it for me. When he finished I was so proud of it. I just knew it was a one hole grouper. Then I took it to the range and shot it with my sweet load. Damn I was sick to my stomach. It opened the groups up to nearly 2". From 1/2" to 2"? Damn! I was pissed. Then I got to reading some bench rest papers by Warren Page. He stated that many thin barreled rifles require a small pressure point out near the end of the forend. He discribed the procedure and I commenced to finding an old card and doing as discribed here. i had to move it about 1/16" back and fourth until I found the sweet spot but when I finished I had it back better than it wa:s before he bedded it. This is NOT rocket surgery. But you gotta pay attention to the results of everything you do.

This all reminds me of another old saying: You know what you do with a half minute rifle? Don't F with it!

Last edited by Filaman; 06/17/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!