Well, I guess after reading y'all's comments, I'm going to have to watch the bee expert video.

Tried to get a hive going this year, along with a friend. Got started late and at the last minute found a couple of packages of bees from back east. Long story short, the trip over here did them in. By the time we got them we had 2"-3" of dead bees in the mailing box. They were mailed insured, so my friends will be getting their money back:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I tried to make a go of it with what few were remaining. Seemed like the queen was still alive, so I took them home and got her and them in the box:

We had very cold nights the first two after the bees arrived, so I covered the box with a moving blanket and some plywood to keep the snow and hail off it. A week or so later I still had bees flying in and out, they had a feeder in there too, so I had some hope.

The other day I took a look, not a single bee left, this was all they had managed. A few cells drawn out, some with a bit of pollen in them. Not one brood cell capped even, so I'm guessing if the queen was still alive when I put them in, she might not have made it very long.

My buddy managed to talk his neighbor out of a frame of brood, so perhaps he'll have some luck. The plan next year is to get some bees from a supplier over the hill from here, and I'll drive over and get them. No more trusting the USPS. Of course The Corona slowed the shipment down too, maybe in a normal year they'd have gotten here in a more timely manner.

It's been 25 years since I last had my own hive, I'm hoping to get a few decent ones going before I die. This year was a total bust.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?