I was doing an ammunition test with my two .22 Win Mag rifles to see what they shot the best. An older Anschutz 1515-1516 and a newer 1516 in classic sporter configuration, fitted with 3-9x scopes and targets at 100 yards.
Results were as expected, with one wild exception.

I was getting good +/- 1" groups with both rifles shooting CCI 30 gr. polymer tipped, S&B 40 gr. hollow point, and PMC 40 gr. HP ammo, and reasonable 1-1/2" to 2" groups with most others like Federal 50 gr. HP, Win 45 gr. fmj and HP, and Hornady Vmax 30 gr. polymer tip. Worst group I shot was about 2-1/2" while trying a wide variety of brands, weights and bullet styles.

And then I tried Remington "Premier Accu tip V Polymer 33 gr. gold box" I could not keep shots on the target paper, much less in a group. Probably dispersion was 2 feet or so.

I moved targets to 50 yards and repeated the test with the same relative results.

Any idea what's going on with the Remington ammo? They market this stuff as their very best, most accurate ammo. I've never seen such a dramatic difference in factory ammunition accuracy in my life, and I'm reasonably experienced. What should I check? What's your experience?

Last edited by castnblast; 06/27/20.