Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
My son and DIL have a never ending debate with me about which is best. The Gen 4 or Gen 5.

My son claims Glock did not improve anything so why not choose the Gen 4. He in general hates Glocks anyway.

I believe the finish looks and is truly better on the Gen 5. The trigger and barrel is also slightly better.

I truly do not like the finish on Gen 4 Glocks and I have read several reviews from people who have had issue with the finish as well.

If given a choice, I will take a Gen 5 every time over a Gen 4.

The Gen 5 Glocks have several changes vs the Gen 4, but only two improvements, IMO. Firstly, they beveled the muzzle end of the slide (as they had always done only for their subcompact models, previously), and secondly they got rid of the finger grooves. Finger grooves are fine if your particular hand happens to fit them right, but otherwise they cause issues. For example, the finger grooves on the gen 4 Model 17 fit my hand like a glove, but on the Gen 4 Model 19, they don't, since they are closer together, so on the 19, my pinky rests on the point of the last finger groove instead of in the groove itself, throwing off the feel of my grip on the gun. Finger grooves were a huge mistake to start with. Otherwise, I can take or leave any of the other Gen 5 changes.