Listen to these guys - a consumer/recreational GPS will not be accurate enough. If you can locate the corner markers you can run a line the old fashioned way. If you can't locate corners you need to hire a surveyor.

Just went thru similar deal this spring. Bought new house, had some encroachment issues on two sides, could not find corners and didn't get a plat, just a description of boundaries in deed. So before I approached neighbors I had it surveyed, original corner pins found, verified and flagged, then I ran flagged lines myself between the corners. Also had the new survey recorded with county. Then shared results with the neighbors.

A licensed surveyor will research property records for your land and bordering properties to make sure there is no discrepancies between deed descriptions, or identify them so they can be resolved.

After the survey was finished I did go back and record the corners with my GPS for future reference, but the GPS coordinates will still be +/- 10 ft or more.

Also, local rules may require your fence to be offset a minumum distance from your property line.

Last edited by MikeL2; 07/04/20.