You can eliminate this problem" - see Lee's explanation - by filing back the cocking piece where it engages with the sear.

Of course, the safety will be permanently on "fire". Not a real problem unless one carries hot - I don't. Nor do i recommend it.

I bought a used M70 XTR last October, in very good shape. I haven't done anything to it other than scraping out the pressure points in the barrel channel and bedding it full length from recoil lug forward. - barely even looked at it, much less fire it until a couple days ago. Hunting season is coming, I needed to check out the new bedding/scope alignment.. Scope needed adjusting even at 25 yards. A lot. But then I hadn't previously fired it, so no idea.. Yet to fire at 100. The FL bedding may or may not stay.

But the safety would not engage. Apparently the bozo I bought it from- or maybe a previous owner to him - had filed back the cocking piece about 1/8 inch. For what reason I have no idea. Probably to eliminate that last sear engagement pressure, in the mistaken belief it was wrong, or just annoying..

It did too. I hope he didn't fook with the sear itself - didn't look like it.

A Tubb cocking piece and firing pin (why not go whole hog? ) is on the way as of 20 minutes ago. Even so, it is still a good deal at $855 with VXIII scope, sling, several boxes of ammo, and reloading equipment. Just not as good as it was at $750..... smile

Looks like I may have to do some safety fitting on the Tubbs, but maybe I'll get lucky.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.