This is also posted in the rifle forum. I decided to stick it up here as well since I post my thoughts here on the Hugh Williamson Precision barrel once I have enough rounds down range

First of all a quick thanks to Redneck, a few words of yours in a thread several months ago proved very helpful.

This rifle came into my hands as a .30-06, it was one of the various discount versions Winchester offered and has a 1969 serial number.

My mission was to get a rifle destined for the junk pile back into usable shape with minimal expense.

It had been neglected for years and then an attempt was made 2 or 3 years ago to refurbish it. The attempt included refinishing the stock with a stain so dark it was almost black, all metal was cleaned up and quite neatly spray painted flat black. An attempt was made to glass bed the rifle resulting in the action and stock being glued together. An attempt to remedy this destroyed the action screws and did some damage to the bottom metal.

Some months passed before I got my hands upon this diamond in the rough and rust had started to pop through the paint in a few places. The safety had also developed issues.

Jobs required were:
1 separate stock and barrelled action
2 get rid of paint and rust from the action (barrel did not matter as that was going down the road)
3 thin the stock down substantially and focus on a fit that I desired
4 fit recoil pad properly
5 finish stock
6 buy new barrel (not required but desired)
7 get it all back together including fixing the safety

Lots of fun was had.

In the end I ordered a Hugh Williamson Precision Barrel (local Calgary guy who is a high end benchrest shooter) in .270. Calibre was chosen mostly based upon the ice cream pails full of brass I got from a buddy years ago as well as having dies and lots of suitable powder on hand. I have owned a .270 years ago and really enjoyed the rifle and calibre.

I hit the stock hard with the rasp and knocked off a good deal of wood shaping it into something that fit me well. It was finished with 8 coats of Birchwood Casey true oil including under the recoil pad in all the inletted areas. I have refurbished checkering before but I have never done any from scratch. So I decided to use a spray on traction epoxy I used before on steps and ramps. It was appled on the pistol grip and on the forearm where checkering would usually occur, it turned out great in my opinion, ample traction without being ugly.

The bases were old weaver ones from my "tickle trunk", the rings were weaver bases on clearout pricing at the local Canadian Tire a while back.

The scope is a Bushnell 3500 Elite 3-9 with the weird 600 DOA reticle, they were never overly popular so once the model was discontinued I was able to pick up a couple on clearance for about $190 each all in (CDN$)

I hired a local smith to sort out the safety and stick the pieces together as well to arrange for the ceracoating.

With the exception of the new barrel its a discount Danny fix which I am very happy with.

To answer one of the first questions folks will ask; "Why put all the time and effort into "polishing a turd" when for less $ one could buy one of the modern accurate discount guns like the Ruger american? The mission was not to buy a new rifle but to pull one out of the scrap heap. The old M70s have a great and simple trigger, they have the awesome 3 position safety and this one needed to avoid the dump.

I hope y'all enjoy the story.

I look forward to the comments, questions and flames.

[Linked Image]