These days I don’t fret over velocity nearly as much as I used to when I was more velocity crazed. I have shot loads that were hotter. Used to shoot 55 BTs at 4300 FPS. But after a few years was setting the barrel back. But, to this day I’ve never seen anything dismantle varmints so viciously!! I feel like my current load, used the last several times in the dog towns, a 70BT at a lazy 3600 FPS, does just fine and won’t be burning the barrel nearly as quickly. It just always perplexed me how 9% more case capacity was getting the numbers I was seeing with loads that “should’ve “ been much lower in pressure and theoretically velocity than what I got....I did throttle it up a few times... primer pockets loosened and I’d get shiny spots on the heads where the brass pushed into the ejector port... but turning necks on brass is a pain in the A.... so I try staying away from all that.

I bet Pete’s 70BT @4150 is a real lightning bolt! I’d love to see that thing at work on dogs or chucks or yoties!

I took my 6AI on a deer depredation “shoot” a few weeks ago and it killed like lightning and got me to thinking I’d retire the ol girl from the dog towns and just use her for the deer culls from now on. Trying the heavier bullet just gave me a reason to tinker and try something new.... maybe even add a little knowledge. Thanks again John and everyone else for your thoughts.

Ben