Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well atleast this way no corrosive chemicals were sprayed thru the brass from firing. I load and shoot a tremendous amount of 30-06 brass that is from 60 to 80 years old. It hasn't given me anymore problems than newer commercial brass. No, I don't use max loads in it. When you shoot a deer can anyone tell the difference of how well a 3000fps load did compared to a 2800fps using the same bullets at the same range, with the same shot placement? Reprime reload, and shoot the hell out of it. M B

I agree Magnum Bob. I ended up on another site doing some research and some of the guys said that the corrosive substance from the primer will contaminate the brass. This brass still looks new on the inside, so I'm glad I didn't shoot it and ruin it. Reminds me more of Norma brass, but it appears to be thicker. I am hoping it will last a long time, but may need to be re annealed?

Originally Posted by super T
A couple of thoughts off the top of my head. You likely already know that before you reload the brass you'll need to remove the primer crimp. And, how do you know the primers are really corrosive? I've shot a lot of G.I. 30.06 ammo from the 50's that was not.

This ammo is stamped "U42", so I'm assuming it was produced around that time? I may have put in the op that it was stamped "U 43", but that was the box of LC 43 brass I also got from the gentleman at the shoot that day. I also knew I'd have to swage the primer pockets. All of that is behind me and the brass is shiny and clean with new CCI200 primers in it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This picture was taken when I pulled the bullets. To me, its worth more as usable reloading components. I think for the most part, most of you are agreeing with me that the ammo doesn't have some sort of collector value. I'd also think the box it came in is probably worth more than the ammo, since it was more than likely corrosive primed stuff... Thanks for the input on this guys.

I think you're right. I'm thinking from what I've read a long time back that all Military Ammo made in the 40s was corrosive primed. I believe even some in the 50s was as this was when they began to use non corrosive primers. I had a bunch of LC 67 ammo that I lost in a divorce. It was said to be Non Corrosive and I never cleaned my Garand with soap and water after shooting it. But anything from the 40s or 50s was suspect in my head and if I shot those head stamps I cleaned my Garand appropriately.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!