I’ve only seen three types of milled front sights. The most common is the one Savage used starting in the late 20s and lasting through about the late 50s. It’s the dovetail ramp. The other two are what I call split posts. One is the subject sight and the other I don’t have a picture of. But I think it was used only for a little in the early 20s and, to me, it looks like it was put on backwards. Again, sorry I don’t have a picture of the funny looking backwards split front post sight, but that’s my technical term for it.

Does anyone know how Savage milled these sights? I think that would be a fascinating topic for us engineering nerds. A couple months ago I asked this on the Krag Collectors forum. That is I asked how the split front post Krag sight was installed. Turns out Springfield Armory dovetailed a chunk of steel into the barrel blank early in the machining process and then milled it into shape. I don’t see a seam on 99 barrels like you do with Krags, but as they say, “never say never.” Any thoughts?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"