Originally Posted by Savage94C
Since I got the NTA bug (Need To Acquire) several years ago for a Savage 99 and following 99 prices on GB and GI, I've noticed a jump in prices. Not drastic, but there, esp for the prewar and pre 1950 models it seems. Of course prices for M1 Garand's, 03 Springfield's, and other MILSURP firearms I collect/shoot and am interested in have also. (Colt Pythons and older S&W K and N frame hoglegs aren't immune either). At the last Gun Show I attended before the rest were cancelled last spring (mid March-due to Covid) there was a large consignment auction in a nearby building at the large complex I was at. A friend advised there was a bunch of firearms and accessories to be sold. A local collector was thinning his herd by a 'big' amount. Included in the vast array of about every kind of caliber, gauge, brand, and model of firearms were two Savage 99's. A EG in 250/3000 from around '47-48 and a early 50's R in 300 Savage. Both were in very good shape, with good bores, no after factory add-on's or drilling. The building was packed with not only items from A-Z and people, but there were a good number of gun buyers drooling and waiting for the sale of the firearms and all kinds of ammo, components, hunting gear, etc.

It was late morning and I talked with one of the auction helpers and he advised the firearms and related stuff was going to be some of the last sold, probably mid afternoon. I had a afternoon family function that I couldn't miss and knowing the history of the auctioneer of getting top dollar and even more than a item is worth at times, I left. I talked to a friend several days later and he advised that both Savage 99's sold in the $1500 range, didn't think they'd go that high, but not surprised. I've missed a couple of nice EG's in 250/3000 the last 3-4 months that I was watching on GI/GB that were in nice shape and sold for a decent price. One of those times when ya think "I should have paid more attention and placed a bid." The way it goes. 'NTA' a cut checkered version prior to 1950 of a EG in 250/3000.

All I can think to add is "You can't win if you don't play".

LOL