Originally Posted by Rooster7
One thing I don't regret, was at 18 years old, I told my boss, at my $4.00/hr lumber yard job, that I was leaving to go see my Grandpa in the hospital because he went into a coma.

He yelled at me and told me that if he's in a coma, he won't know you're there anyway! After a heated discussion, I told him I'm leaving and I don't care what you say.

See, I used to take care of my grandparents yard as a youth and me and Grandpa always played "mercy" (where you lock fingers and try to bend the others backwards until they say mercy).

Being an old farmer that thrashed, He ALWAYS won but said he wanted to see how strong I was getting. He chuckled the whole time while I was trying my hardest.

Anyway, I got to the hospital where the family was sitting around crying because they knew it was close to the end. They said he was gone but still breathing.

I went up and grabbed my Grandpa's hand and told him I was there. He squeezed my hand so hard my fingers turned white. I could hear his chuckle even though he couldn't make it physically.

The family saw this and he passed shortly after.

I'm SO glad I wasn't too intimidated by my boss to not leave that day.

Good for you buddy. My dad taught me to always bust my ass at work, no matter the pay. But he also taught me that family is more important than any job. You did the right thing by a long shot.

Camp is where you make it.