We enjoy ATV rides, but there are not any groomed trails here in Alaska I am aware of. Our machines are mostly used for hunting and berry picking and rarely go over 15 mph. Most of the time the trails are so bad we can't do 10 mph with out jarring our teeth loose. I a run the Polaris Big Boss 6x6, a 2011 model and ran a 1996 for 13 years with little problems. I prefer it as it will haul moose and pull trailers and buck brush better then any 4 wheeler I have seen. For many years we would hunt out of a wall tent for about 3 weeks in the fall at a camp about 15 tough trail miles from the highway.

We sold the wife's 2001 Sportsman 500 a few years ago and only replaced a stater in it. In 2014 bought a Polaris Razor LE 570 for her and i think I had to replace a starter solenoid. I also think it is safer for her. Now that we have reached the age of 70 we don't venture out for as long or far as we used to with out a younger guy along, if something happened to me way back on a trail it would put my wife in a tough spot. That is why we use machines that are easily capable of carrying two riders and some gear and Otto the Mini Schnauzer.

As far as the best machine, ya got me and I personally believe none of them are as reliable as a car. The short limited warranties speaks volumes. I am surprised at how long they run considering what they are used for. I think one of the reasons we have had good luck with our machines is we take care of them and ride slow, change engine fluids regularly and grease them.

The old Honda 300 4-wheeler and the 3 wheeler's they made are the most bullet prof models I am aware of. If you go to any remote Alaskan village there will be several old Honda's zipping along with riders barely out of their diapers. They don't baby those old Honda's and many of them have been exposed to sandy ocean beaches for mos of their life.. LOL

I doubt I will ever get another ATV and my old Big Boss is handy on my property. If I was richer, I would look at one of those fancy Can Am side by sides like my buddy spent about 25 grand on.