Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I've read a few articles (having never been to Africa myself) from guys like Wayne Van Zwoll who took a 6.5 Creedmoor to Africa for plains game. It worked fine up to Eland, where it ended up being a bit of a rodeo. I've heard that same story a few times, that it worked fine until the hunter shot an Eland, where the bullet placement was fine, but the animal didn't die like it was supposed to. I found one of those articles:

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/the-6-5-creedmoor.36072/

In theory, picking a tough, heavy bullet in the 6.5 CM and placing your shots well should work fine, and I would do it, were I you. But I like stunt-shooting.

LOL.

Wayne has a pretty bad memory based on that article.

When on the final evening Don and I spied a bull far off, there was no approach. “Your call,” he shrugged. “The air is dead-still.” I snugged the sling, prone, and dialed to the yardage. Ribs spot-lit by a sinking sun, the bull paused. Craaack! The animal spun, sprinted and fell. That shot was twice as long as any I’d ever attempted at elk.

There was nobody named Don any where about when that 600 yd elk was killed.

Funny how memories change over time. crazy

Thanks for showing up and giving your input, Don, particularly on the Bergers thread.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.