Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by jimmyp
the 40 vs 10 argument seems to be a case of mistaken identity. Fill both up with powder and the 10 case holds more, if anyone handloads one of them they can handload the other, if stuck with store bought there is probably not a big difference until you get to buffalo bore, or underwood etc. but again BB 40SW I think is 1000 fps with 200 grain. I often wonder if a .40 200 grain HC at 1000 fps, will shoot into a soft skinned animal about as much as a 200 grain hc at 1350. Whitworth must be on vacation, he might know the answer to a question like that.

The answer to your question is, as long as the faster bullet is up to the additional speed the f as ster bullet will penetrate deeper. The damage to lung tissue will be increased by the faster projectile.

A hard cast of around 20 brinel will stand 1400 FPS and penetrate very well

Just think 38 special VS 357 mag one is faster than the other and more effective

I think the 38 special with round nose lead bullets left a lot to be desired. Here is the question modified, is 1000 fps and 200 grains hard cast fast enough to shoot deep enough into a large animal to penetrate organs needed for life? The answer might be, probably but its more probable at 1300 fps. Then the trade off becomes size of the gun, vs size of the anticipated target. For black bear a hard cast 9mm 147 grain most probably would make them stop what they were doing in a relatively short time if shot into the lung, heart area, for certain larger animals on average need faster heavier bullets. I think only a very rich moron would hunt big heavy animals with a 9mm, on the other hand a lazy suburbanite hiking in the smoky mountains might be fine with a small lightweight 40SW and hard cast bullets.

Pick any bullet in 38/357 and the 357 will be more effective because of the increased velociity

Since Phill Shoemaker killed as 900 pound grizzly with a 147 grain 9mm, the 40 should be more better

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first