Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Thanks for all the replies.. Got some ideas for new ammo.. My ammo works, just like to try stuff.. For the guys popping squirrels in the head I understand the need for super accuracy..

My gopher shooting doesn’t require that super accuracy.. I need a good accurate shell, but one that causes damage.. When popping gophers the ranchers want as many killed as possible.. So I take quartering shots that would ruin a tree squirrel for eating.. I don’t want cripples, even well hit ones can make it to a hole if major damage doesn’t occur... To get as many gophers as I can in a day I take all kinds of shots that I would pass if I were hunting game.. I want dead gophers not suffering one.. Thanks for all the replies, I learned a lot.. Doubt I ever get to hunt many tree squirrels again, but I have great ideas for ammo if I do.

I am in a greement with you on shooting ground squirrels, I do not want crawl-offs either. The best combination of accuracy and hard-hitting 22 LR ammo that I have found is CCI Mini-Mag hollow points. They hit with a hard distinct thump, it is very rare to have a crawl off using them. The CCI Mini-Mag round nose do not hit nearly as hard as the hollow points.

They are pricey and a bit difficult to find but are well worth it.

It has warmed up enough here that most of our squirrels are back underground now - it is a long time until next spring.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.