Originally Posted by gunswizard
Never needed to have any of my pre'64's bedded in order to get them to shoot, always able to find a load that shot accurately.

It all depends on how anal a guy is about accuracy. Some more so than others. For chits and giggles ill take one of my pre 64's to our clubs centerfire matches and spank the savages and Tikkas. The older members of the club love it, but the younger generation dont appreciate it much.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That's how my '56 fwt 30-06 shoots.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This is how my lightweight 338wm shoots. ^^

I dont think your unbedded pre 64's would shoot as well as a properly glass bedded rifle, as ive never witnessed it. You just don't get the shot to shot consistency, especially with a 10-20 shot string you shoot in comp. The heavy barreled target models are less affected, but i'd still glass bed those as well. Also since the op's rifle was assembled from parts and not "coddled" at the factory with perfect inletting and fitting or marrying the stock to the action, i'd for damn sure bed it. As it is, its likely that the stock and barreled action are not a perfect union. When this is the case, you also run the risk of cracking the stock under recoil. Im hoping all that makes sense.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA