Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
Concerning only a military issue SKS. No after-market add ons. As issued military weapon only,10 round box mag, stripper clips, etc.,

A hypothetical question; If it was your main survival weapon, etc., would you retain the bayonet, whether blade or spike, or would you remove it for lighter weight and better balance? Keep in mind that the bayonet is not readily or normally detachable....Thanks for any thoughts....Tree

All due respect to decenting opinions.
There may be those who use a bayonet for skinning small game, filleting fish, feathering tinder for fire starter, shaping wooden tools, tarp pegs, saplings for shelter, etc.
It's just me, but I have never considered a bayonet for anything other than a collectable. They do have much appeal for that and historical significance IMHO.

IF I were taking one rifle of choice that had a bayonet into a survival OR battle situation, I would leave the bayo at home. I would take one daily user and probably a more specialized , which could be a tiny swiss army knife, ..... whatever I predict would be most useful for my tasks. That's it. I have used every style of common blades for farm, field, recreation, shaving, wood work, battle, etc
Taught classes on most of these subjects.

Bayo is heavier than necessary and the wrong shape for most tasks. It also adds how many more inches to the barrel, naking it more cumbersome, slower to target, and likely to get hung up on forest vegetation. If it's for self defense after expected ammo runs dry, I would then consider getting training in a combat art right now, that can utilize any blades and make use of machetes for fighting. Advantage Combat would be the best IMHO.

^^^^^^
TreeMutt,

Thought that question was from some newbie city boy just going into the woods camping for the first time.
Now I see you were playing us.

Next time, I'll know better and say, Dumb question.
Don't waste my time.
Go read a book.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 07/31/20.