Originally Posted by RiverRider
For some reason I have a preference for silver over gold, simply for appearances' sake. That's immaterial, though.

I wonder just how a chunk of gold or silver or a pile of "cash" is going to be of any benefit during a civil crisis. I'd much rather have ammo, and have imagined the lowly .22 LR round being the coin of the realm for barter purposes when the SHTF...but then again, a certain level of order must exist for barter to even have meaning, I would think.

I'm really beginning to question the value of gold altogether as the basis for currency. Whatever the "currency" may be, I have been toying with the idea that the perceived value of gold really represents labor in the end. What you want is for people to do things for you, not have a huge pile of metal in the safe. The only reason to want to have a huge pile of metal in the safe is that you can get people to do things to get some of it. I am beginning to think it's really all about labor.

I'm open to being corrected, if necessary. But you better make lots of sense to turn me.

It's value is rooted in its physical properties, which are quite unique among metals. Same with silver. Because you don't understand these properties, or don't know how to make use of its potential, doesn't mean its value isn't real.