Originally Posted by MAC
Cabelas went to heck after Bass Pro took them over. Back in the day when the Cabela brothers owned and ran the place it was great. But they lost control when it went public on the stock market and then was sold over to Bass pro by a corporate raider who leveraged the stock. I grew up in CO just below the NE border and the corporate headquarters of Cabela's was just 16 miles from me. I used to go to the big store there on I-80 and I often saw the Cabela brothers in the store talking to customers and even helping them out. Both were really nice guys but they have gone to the great hunting camp in the sky. last time I was in a Cabela's store I left without spending a dime.

I bought my first reloading equipment (around 1973) and several rifles in the original Cabelas store in downtown Sidney, NE . They were housed in a 3 level store. One floor below street level was a very well equipped gun shop. The street level floor and the second level floor housed their business offices and their mail order business. This was years before the first flag ship store was built on the east side of Sidney along I-80.

Cabelas gong to the big store approach was the beginning of the corporate failure snowball that gained size while steadily rolling down hill for quite a few years. The bulky snowball totally melted down when Bass Pro took over.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ